Thursday, July 3, 2008

Learning To Sew: Local Organic Cotton Part 2

This is my second project using locally woven organic cotton I bought from Spiritex, an Asheville organic clothing & fabric store. This was actually scrap fabric too, which I purchased for around $2, it was rolled into a little black ball of organic cottony goodness. I won't claim the design as my own, the reason this skirt is especially adorable (besides that my wrinkly bug bite covered knees are accenting the piece) is because I used the coolest book ever to get the idea! Generation T 108 Ways To Transform a T-shirt is the freaking greatest book for beginning and advanced crafters- the projects are totally easy and some of them blew my mind. The finale' project is a wedding dress made entirely of white t-shirts! The book came out a while back, long enough that I am certain every crafty New Yorker has seen it - but I had never laid eyes on such innovation. Love it! This sexy skirt is my very first project I tried from the book, and although it said to make one straight tube I had to actually make a bit of a triangle shape to get it right. The satin ribbons are even organic! Yippee! <3

5 comments:

Observant nick said...

The skirt really is sexy. It accentuates your sexy legs....

Skye said...

Leslie, it's awesome.

Where is the ribbon from?

The Oko Box said...

Hey Skye!
Thanks!!!
The ribbon was actually a perk of The Oko Box - a shipment of organic brown velvet jackets came in from france (designer MACHJA) last year and the organic satin ribbons were not attached or sewn on in any way. I decided I could not sell it like that, so i set the ribbons aside in my crafting box and now sell the jacket without them. I have been using them like crazy and hardly have any left now. ;)

The Oko Box said...

Here are two sources for organic ribbons:
http://www.wholesaleribboncarnival.com/category_41/Earth-Friendly-Organic-Ribbon.htm

http://www.schiffribbons.com/buy_ribbons.aspx?pc=Earth+Friendly+Ribbons&gclid=CKyggtOOqZQCFQNfFQodkHdttA


On on a different note, here is a place that prints organic cotton clothing labels::
http://www.bcilabels.com/clothing-labels/clothing-labels-printed/index.cfm

Skye said...

Sounds like the makings of a couple of CAGW posts for you...