Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spring Water + Old Sink = Fresh Water Container For The Animals

In the fenced in acre where my animals live there are two spring water sources (plus I have a rain barrel I am setting up at the mini barn!)...
I found a nice lil' sink underneath my cabin that I thought would be perfect for catching the spring water that had already been piped before I moved here. I settled the sink into the dirt and then took a handful of thick native clay (that has been dug up when building the barn) and shoved it into the drain to block the water from leaking. (I have tried this trick even with leaky buckets and had total success!)
Me and JuJu the donkey waited for it to fill up completely, drip by dribble for about 30 minutes.
Once the sink was full I had it lean slightly to the left side so that the water would overflow out in one spot... since it's spring water that constantly flows year round whether it comes out in a pour or a drip.
Before even pimping it out with some rocks, leaves and hay, the chickens came by to test it out...
Rooster approved.
I put a larger flat rock under the drip, and smaller rocks around the entire sink to make it sturdy. I also started covering the black pipe I had dragged under the fence with debris just to make it look like it's not there. Would be cool to make a second water pool with some rock and clay only under the drip.
This sink will ensure that no matter what the animals are constantly getting a flow of fresh spring water that has no contaminants in it of any kind (including their own poop.)
Yay, I am feeling clever now. ;)
PS - I got the idea to do this with the sink after having BAD dream last night that something happened to me where I couldn't get home & my donkey had no water and became very sick, I was crying in the dream because I thought she was gonna die of dehydration. Nothing like a lil' nightmare to get you extra motivated.
Xoxoxo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your animals are lovely. :) I enjoy your posts about them. I can't wait to have some land in the country and get chickens and I am thinking of a mule.

Unknown said...

l5v95r3m45 n8m76p5y80 b6o88d0u27 d0v14m0r38 t1k93r7m26 u3u01t4x08