Monday, October 18, 2010

Animal Tracking: Who's Scat Is That?

I might need ya'lls help! You see I found this scat about a week ago and can't quite seem to identify who poop'ed this one out?!

I know it appears to be hairy in the pic, but in real life and if you click the pic to a larger size you will see it is more like a fungus growing on it, rather then hair sticking out. It seems to be a grouping of large (as in much larger then a deer, rabbit or even a raccoon) pellets that are more oval shaped.

The closest I could find to this scat in my trusty rusty lil' scat book was that it may be a groundhog... except everyone says it's rare to see groundhog scat because usually they poop inside a special place in the tunnels at their home. An underground groundhog bathroom.

So could this be a rare moment of a groundhog poopin' in the wild instead of at his hand built potty place?

So, Help! Who shat this scat?
XOxoxo

3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Hmmm, seen any bears lately? Could be.

Miss Voodoo said...

Hey Kittie...

I have had people suggesting human, bear and domestic dog....
but it didn't look like those.
It was really odd.
There are bears in the area right now.

kirk said...

we don't have them up here but my uneducated guess is possum--the description mentions the ends taper and a unique slime coat on the scat and 2-2.5" long.