Friday, January 29, 2010

Macrobiotic & Gluten Free Carrot Spaghetti Sauce

Holy Carrots! These are some organic carrots that grew in the garden here, aren't they girthy? I decided to make one of my favorite macrobiotic recipes with these big boys, a delicious carrot spaghetti sauce that uses NO tomatoes and gives this traditional (american-ized) Italian dish a sweet yummy twist! This carrot sauce can be used on anything you would use regular spaghetti sauce on- like noodles, lasagna, or gluten free pizza crust!

You will need:
  • a bunch of carrots
  • one small beet (to turn the sauce red!)
  • red onion
  • herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, bay leaf, sage etc..)
  • celery
  • shittake mushrooms (optional!)
  • olive oil
  • sea salt or ume paste

When I made this dish yesterday I didn't have all the ingredients on hand to get a picture of (no beets to turn it red and no mushrooms for extra flav'ah) , but it still came out delicious as always! Here is what you do:::
  • Chop up the carrots, celery, and beet to simmer down till soft (30 mins or so)
  • Put in a blender or smash up the carrots with a fork
  • Add in herbs, salt and mushrooms to the carrrot sauce and cook in a pot another 10 mins
  • In a separate pan saute the chopped onion (with some herbs) till soft (7 mins)
  • Add onions to the blended carrot sauce and serve over noodles!
Voila! A tomato free spaghetti sauce that tastes better then the 'real' thing eva' did!
XoXOooo

10 comments:

Noel said...

Mmmmmmm... I was wondering what you ended up doing with those monsters! Like the possible ume plum paste addition for a little twang. Good stuff!!!

Wild Canary said...

This looks really good and healthy...I love beet and carrot stuff and never figured how to get sauce on pasta that wasn't tomato...Thanks Leslie, wish I could send down some of my goat cheese to go with it. That sparks up a pasta dish, too.
Hugs.

Miss Voodoo said...

Hey Noel!
I think the ume paste and the beet, with all the other stuff can make it actually taste really similar to real tomato sauce - i happen to think this tastes better and is not acidic.

Wild Canary -
You should make this and put your goat cheese on it and take pictures! Is the goat cheese hard to make?
I am considering getting sheep when I move, and wanted to try making sheep cheese. I can't have cow or goat, it makes me feel terrible....
still holding out hope one day i can have some kind of cream cheese.

p said...

them big chunky carrots tells me you have a well worked garden. in the clay here they end up looking like carrot sticks.

Miss Voodoo said...

P -
the soil here is really awesome, that is why the native americans called the area "big sandy mush" - there is like 5-10 inches of cushy top soil - in the woods it's blacker then black and rich in nutrients. Also those carrots were in a raised row that had been previously enriched by a rye cover crop.

linda said...

That sounds delish! I often use sweet potatoes or yams and swiss chard to make my pasta (soba) sauce. Carrots and parsnips are another favorite. And squash! When I could have dairy, I used yogurt and herbs. So many yummy combinations.

Miss Voodoo said...

Hey Linda -->
mmm, adding parsnips for a sauce sounds good! I might do that today cause i have some. :)
Before I had to go gluten free and found out how hard it was to find food that wasnt wheat dusted, i used to make sauces out of all kinds of goodies!
Anyone know of a truly gluten free tahini sauce? I used to make awesome sauces out of that with lemon and garlic - and also made a great one using Veganaise & herbs!
(but found that tahini and veganaise makes me sick, like it's gluten contaminated).
I have made sauces too by putting tofu in the blender with some herbs, onions and uma paste.mmm

yanmaneee said...

yeezy
bape
yeezy shoes
golden goose sneakers
yeezy

tayssayr said...

click to find out more official site learn this here now more tips here official website right here

Anonymous said...

kyrie 5 spongebob
kd shoes
bape
off white
air jordan
yeezy
supreme
supreme new york
cheap jordans
hermes outlet