Monday, October 13, 2008

Laundry Alternatives: The Wonder Wash!

I never use a traditional washer or dryer - yes, it's true. I wash all my clothing, sheets, towels, etc by hand and hang them up outside to dry (or over a heat source in the winter). A few years ago a neighbor let me borrow a 'washer' she said was for camping, that you could stick a 5 pound load in & then spin the crank by hand- pressure cleaning your laundry. This thing was not only bad ass, easy to use, and cleaned the ba-jeezus out of my clothes - but it uses no electricity, saves water, and builds really good arm muscle! There are several levels to sustainable living, and besides wanting to wear eco friendly clothing I also want my clothes to get clean enough so they will last longer - but don't want to waste so many resources achieving this. So I got myself a new Wonder Wash of my very own...a fabulous washer that will never need to be plugged in, can travel anywhere, saves resources and costs under $50 !!!
GO here to read more about how it works!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only that but it doubles as a butter churn! Hooray!

Miss Voodoo said...

Amish Nick-
I think you'd have to buy a seperate one for that project... or maybe a DIY butter churn...um, also if you are supposed to be amish you should not be buying the plastic Wonder wash, because you know how to build anything you need from scratch! ;)

Anonymous said...

This is so cool. Even if you had a regular washer (like I do, although in my defense, it's a energy/water efficient front-load model), you could use this little washer for smaller loads. GREAT idea!! On the wish list.