Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Milk Paint Is the BEST Paint Eva'!

Ya'll like my wonder woman colored shutter doors for my bathroom? (My mom doesn't! ha) .... but I am in LOVE with the vibrant beautiful colors of milk paint. Yeah, for realz, that stuff is made of a simple ancient recipe using milk and powdered lime, with natural earth pigments..... AKA: Non toxic, No VOC, safe for the sensitive, and antique looking!

I didn't make the milk paint myself, but instead bought it for a good price online from the Old Fashioned Milk Paint Company. I knew milk paint didn't bother me once it was dry, but I had never had a chance to paint with it myself - and I found out that not only was it so non toxic it didn't bother me, but I actually had fun! SO much fun, that I started painting everything with it ----> bat houses, bird houses, little pieces of wood, I made a painting of a tree... I had to control myself from just painting all over the whole house and making a mess.

There are two formulas of milk paint you can buy and since I have been experimenting with both and leaving some stuff inside , some out in the weather, let me tell ya'll what the difference means in real terms:::::

***The Original Milk Paint - This stuff is awesome, and it holds up just fine inside even in an house with no air conditioning .... BUT my craft projects I used it on that were exposed to weather started to mold some. So use it inside, not outside where something will get wet.

***Safe Paint (Milk Paint) - This stuff is just as non toxic and VOC free, but they altered the formula so that it adheres to more surfaces, and let me tell ya it totally works without molding at all. Even in the rain. Milk paint used in a plastic bucket from last year that was left out in the rain still has the coating of millk paint on it, so does the metal pan - both left outside in the weather. Of all my birdhouses I painted, the "safe paint" version is the brightest colored and hasn't molded at all. The company told me this paint can be used on metal & glass surfaces too, which is really amazing.


I won't go back to using any other paint (not even the No VOC regular paints) ever again, I seriously love milk paint! Even though it takes more care, it's not all that hard to mix up.
It comes in a powder form and if you add hot/warm water it won't curdle. The deal is as it gets cold it can curdle and the company encourages using a cake batter thingy to smash it up or a electric paint mixer. I just used hot water and a stick and whooped it really hard. :)

I found that the colors mix really well together, almost like painting with acrylics! I plan on making some really cool art with this stuff - next project is going to be a mural on my bedroom ceiling of night turning into day, starting with the constellations, and ending in clouds & blue sky. yay!

Xoxoxo

2 comments:

Mokihana Calizar said...

Exciting to see your milk paint projects! We have been in love with the milk paint since we built our wee vardo. We used a different 'brand' and sealed it with beeswax on the outside ... being very pleased with the result after a year of all kinds of weather.

The Old Fashion Milk Paint and Safe Paint were brands we checked out before chosing Homestead House from Ontario. We still have paint left, and are now drawing up dreams for a second wee house that will be a kitchen/gather/shower/composting toilet home; and yes, we will trim it out with oak left from our Vardo and paint with milk.

Hugs ... we are back in the forrest and it's good.

Lovexoxo,
Mokihana

Miss Voodoo said...

MOkihana! I was juts thinking of you-!
WOndering how ya'll were, and wanted to tell you my donkey barn is being built right now! My uncle is helping me build it.

SO glad you are back in the woods where the air is fresh. Is your vardo addition going to pull behind the original vardo????

I love the milk paint! DId the Homestead House paint give you any reaction? The kind i got did not, and that was like a miracle in color! I love color and have missed it.

xoxo