I had a ton of pieces to work with, the main organic tapestry fabric that I wanted on the outside and several more pieces to patch together which were organic cotton fleece material. The fleece was for lining the inside of the coat to make it warm enough- and I did this by sewing all the scraps together and then laying out on top the pattern I had cut/pieced together for the coat, to match them up.
It is far more patchy looking in reality then in these pictures- the bottom black lining is made up of several pieces. I cut arm holes and sewed the shoulders together - then attached some basic tubes for sleeves. I did make the sleeves wider at the armpit and gradually thinner towards the wrist, in hopes to make it kind of sexy. But the whole thing is just too Punky Brewster for that ;)
I used two upcycled buttons to make a basic closure at the top right hand side, which I made little loops from the left side of the coat to hook onto the buttons.