Monday, May 10, 2010

Tiny Green Moth & a WTF Bug

This tiny green moth up top is so small, I left the nail head in the bottom right hand corner of the picture for a size comparison --- but it's vibrant green color is one similar if not exactly the same as the giant beautiful Lunar Moth. I have always wanted to get a picture of one of these, and although the picture did not come out as crisp as the photo OCD maniac in me would like ... it's still too cool not to share!

AND then THIS guy below ?!?!
What is he? I only got one picture of him before my phone rang and I went running to it like a girl - I ran back and he was gone. :( Is this what people call a weavel, the thing that eats your dried foods?
I am beginning to notice many types of beetles, insects, spiders and bugs here in Luck that I have never seen before, and I look forward to seeing them (and sharing them with ya'll!) all through the warm season.
Xoxo

2 comments:

Gratuitous said...

The Emerald Geometer (earth measurer), Dichorda illustraria, is named for the way the caterpillar moves. With legs only in the front and back, it pulls itself along like an inch worm.

Although there are over 60,000 species of weevil, yours looks most like a boll weevil, which is odd unless there is cotton growing nearby, as it lays its eggs in cotton bolls and the young eat their way out. I dig horny bugs.

Miss Voodoo said...

Gratu -

NOw that moth wins the prize for raddest and most important sounding name of all the bugs I have ever put on here! <3

I don't know what the Boll Weevil is doin', i don't even have cotton balls in my house. Maybe they like plain ole' cotton too? Organic cotton clothes...