Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sometimes Ya Feel Like A Nut (Tree)

I like to try and start trees from seed - especially nut trees! In the bag here are some pine nuts...mmmm...that are getting too outdated to eat but might have some life in them to plant some pine trees from seed. The best way to do this is to get a a handful of (preferably organic) nuts still in their shell from a local grower at the grocery or farmers market, since that will make the chances of your tree lovin' your climate alot better (remember to double check that they are locally grown). Experimentation is cool too though- these pines nuts were grown in New Mexico, but I have still had them sprout little pine trees in flower pots where I dropped shells I was cracking to eat.
Just to make sure I have a goooooood chance of something coming up I took a big ole' handful of the pine nuts and put them all at different levels in the soil. Some are just patted down, some buried deep, some buried shallow- which is my attempt to imitate nature's way of dropping the seeds and then all kinds of junk happens to them after that. Growing up in New Orleans I use to watch the squirrels bury the pecans for the (not all that cold) winter - pretty deep in the ground, and that is when the strongest trees would grow up out the soil. Go Pine Nuts Go!
XoXo

3 comments:

On a limb with Claudia said...

Wow - good luck with this! I've never thought of growing trees from seeds. Of course we have a mini peach tree in our yard, but that doesn't REALLY count.

Have you seen these pinon trees in New Mexico? They are great trees.

Miss Voodoo said...

Hey Claudia!!
The peach tree totally counts, those are hard to grow, and way hard to get the little almond shaped seed out that hard shell!
I havent seen the pinon trees there, now I need to go look it up. I had ordered the pine nuts online from Pinola Penny.
xo

Anonymous said...

kyrie 6
yeezy 350 v2
fear of god outlet
bape official
hermes outlet
supreme hoodie
supreme clothing
yeezy gap
hermes bag
jordan 1