Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Organic Fall Garden

This is the first time I have ever got to plant a fall/winter garden! I was not sure what to expect, but here is what I have learned so far...
1. Animals preparing to not have food for winter may be extra tempted to venture into your garden! Something ate the tops off of all my kale and dug up my beets in just one night.
2. Stuff doesn't grow with the gusto of spring and summer, it is a slower smaller process - but still well worth the time.
3. Planting stuff at the end of August is probably best to get a head start on the growth.
Here is a list of what seems to be growing well enough that I will replant them again next year:
  • Red Russian Kale
  • Purple Mustard Greens
  • Radishes
  • Beets (if something doesn't dig them up and eat them)
A few things are iffy, and I can not tell if it's the climate, pests or critters- and that would be the cauliflower and broccoli having issues of disappearing. I am still watching the carrots, which seem to be growing well but V-e-r-Y sloooooow. The green onion seeds I planted never came up at all.
As ya can see in the pic below radishes get first prize for fall garden producers!!!
XoXo

1 comment:

linda said...

mmmmmmm, mustard greens and kale