Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Oops! Ants

Sometimes when you cut up bamboo for kindling (for the wood stove fire) ya might find a lil' family living inside the hollow & cozy stalk! This whole colony of black ants fell out of a piece of bamboo onto the floor...
In order to get them back together, I took a broom and gently swept them into a dust pan. Bort (co-fire starter) got the idea to put them in a tin can with paper to hide under, and once they settled in there I put the can o' ants in one of my large potted plants so they could re-colonize somewhere more pleasant. :)
XoXo

3 comments:

linda said...

Are they ants or termites?
You might want to put them far away outside.

Gretta said...

I think termites have wings?

Miss Voodoo said...

Hey Ya'll!
Termites do have wings and are a bit smaller then the black ants here. We never had ants like this in New Orleans that I ever saw, but they are everywhere in western north carolina.
I have seen swarm of termites coming out of the ground before(here and in Louisiana), really bizarre to watch them all file out a hole in the ground and fly off to their next victim.