In elementary school paper grocery bags were for one thing only and that was for making protective covers for our school books! This crafty upcycle project always mystified me because in our throw away society it was rare we re-used anything growing up.
Upcycling paper bags for new uses may seem a little on the crunchy side at first but there are a few cool ideas out there and I am looking for ideas from you too!
1. A Cat House - As shown in the picture above almost every cat I have had the pleasure of knowing loves a grocery bag. They will play in it, tear it up, sleep in it, shoot like a cannon into it...the fun only ends when the bag is destroyed and ready for the recycle bin.
2. Holding Recycles - I frequently use paper bags to hold my paper recycle together because the bag can be recycled with it's contents. It keeps things more organized and helps cut down on the funk ass smell of junk magazines.
3. Stationary/Drawing Paper/Diary - Why buy paper to write on when you can cut out cute little squares and press a stamp or sticker on it and write a friend a letter!?!! It's also great for drawing on with charcoal, pencil, & ink, or putting a bunch of pages together to make a diary. Just punch some holes and put scrap fabric or twine through them to hold the pages together. Everyone needs a journal to write privately in!
4. Seed Packet Business Card - Check out Autumn's fantabulous tutorial at Crafting A Green World on how to turn your brown paper grocery bag into business cards that double as seeds packets... all done on your home printer!
5. Puppets - This is either a project to do with your kids, nieces and nephews or for your inner child. Which ever you choose these easy animal puppets from brown paper bags are so super cute (my favorites are the raccoon and frog!), check out how to make them HERE. (The animal eyes, legs and smiles can be made with junk mail or magazine cut outs too!)
6. Recycle (the obvious!) - When the life has gone out of all these ideas, don't forget to recycle the paper and help contribute to saving a few trees.
What do you do with paper bags? Please share all your ideas to reuse paper grocery bags no matter how crunchy, crafty or crazy!