Thursday, August 26, 2010

Organic Fall Garden Frenzy

RECIPE:
  • donkey poop
  • trampled top soil
  • hay
  • sawdust/wood chips
I know. It's not that exciting looking, it's just dirt and some garden beds that are so naturalized that they hardly look like garden beds. I made them to blend in with the surrounding forest on purpose. :)
But the thing is, it's not just dirt, it's not just garden beds for me- it's the food producing project I have been working my ass off (mine for realz, not the donkey) on for months now and the last few weeks have been a non stop, steady race to get a some beds ready for a fall garden.
I started building raised bed gardens along the donkey & chicken fence - since JuJu the donkee has taken no interest in the leaves or fruit of squash plants, she doesnt even like kale all that much, I figured this was a great place to expand. I started by shoveling off rich black top soil trampled and churned in front the barn, mixing that with unwanted hay, and piles of donkey dookie to make a SUPER fertile place to throw & grow some seeds.
To keep the dirt from falling backwards out the fence holes, I lined up pieces of scrap wood left over from building the mini barn (see pic below at bottom of fence.)
I am not all about making this look eco chic & fancy, I AM all about making this free, simple, eco friendly - by using left over materials and things already available, by not driving out and guzzling gas to buy products that guzzled gas to get to the store.
In fact the whole point of my garden is to feed me, in all seasons, in all financial states - I want to be free as possible from the albatross of vehicles, groceries, and money $$$$$$!!!
This here is how I am trying to be free...........
*
SEEDS I PLANTED:
  • spinach
  • radishes (red and white)
  • rutabaga
  • 3 types of kale (dinosaur, red russian, siberian)
  • lettuce
  • carrots (red, yellow and orange)
  • beets
  • broccoli raab
  • peas
Xoxoxo

2 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Great veggie choices! I have this thing for radishes. Could munch them all day. That and greens. Any type (but especially young mustard greens). Kale's up there with pumpkin and cabbage as the three most nutritional foods around. Oh, Yum (except for carrots, I know, I know. Have to gag 'em down.

There's a shout-out for you on my blog.

Miss Voodoo said...

Hey Kittie!
I like radishes too. I actually like to steam them and put them in my fall/winter root soup - i like the red ones, the white ones, the black radishes, the watermelon radish and the diakon too... mmmmmm
I also love mustard greens, and should plant some for the fall garden too. Thanks for reminding me.

THANKS for the shout out! How fun and I feel so honored. :))))