Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Snow Freak Out and My Snow Luv...

It's been snowing for days. The first day was novel, not so cold I could see my own breath inside my cabin (yet), I crocheted, I hung out with Bort, I even went for a short drive down to the Trust Store (i have never driven in snow before, even though I have lived here for 10 years!)....
But dang it... 3 days and still snowing the temperature dropped, and dropped. Finally my spring water froze in spite of pipe dripping & obsessive precautions, the wind chills hit -15 degrees in my county, and I worried for my animals!
*
I brought ms. Butterworth inside because she was the only chicken shivering and not mentally capable of seeking out water & things to fulfill her needs. She's very happy by the wood stove again...
When I went out this morning to check on everyone else, someone was missing and I noticed right away. Beep Beep the baby chicken. I freaked. Under pressure I stay quite calm, I don't lose my mind but I do get very upset and cry and when I called for Beep Beep for 10 mins and she never showed up I thought the worst. All the other chickens were staying warm in their coop and nesting boxes, Beep Beep was nowhere in sight. I kept seeing R.I.P BEEP BEEP in my head, like it had already been tattoo'ed distastefully to my shoulder. With all the snow, and her being mostly white I felt like I was looking for the impossible to try tramping around in the snow- it had piled up enough inches overnight to have buried a small chicken.
I was about to give up and was walking out the gate, when instincts had me slam it back shut and quickly walk through the wooded area in the fence, across the spring and into the trees. My eyes felt like animal eyes, the ones that spot things better then normal... and that is when I saw her... poor lil' Beep Beep sitting on a small tree branch, freezing cold all alone, out in the open.
I grabbed her and hugged her to keep her body warm, as she shivered. I brought her right to the barn for warmth, food and water - all of which she was frantic about getting. I had never seen frozen poop on a chicken's ass till this moment. That's how cold it was. Poop-cicles.
*
JuJu the donkey is getting much more feed then normal so she can create more body heat.
She also wanted to send out a reminder:::
Do Not Eat Yellow Snow. It's Not Lemon Flavuh. ;)
THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL::::
The cold is painful to me. Maybe cause I am so small, maybe cause my DNA is that of cajuns who lived in the hot tropical swamps- never the less, I hate the cold but love the beauty, the way it re-sculpts the landscape.



Xoxoxooxxx

3 comments:

Jenn said...

oh poor poor, Beep Beep :( im so glad you found her. no doubt she might not have made it much longer. i think its time to lock up all the chickens in the coop. maybe Beep Beep went looking for Mrs. Buttersworth in the snow??? Maybe thats how she got lost?

Noise Blockers and Other Remedies said...

Oh man Leslie. You might have to get some kind of heater going for them - also JuJu. It's not unheard of, people do it in severe weather. Better than having them freeze and you freak out. How is another question. Maybe some kind of hot water piping running through the shack. Poor babies and poor you for worry like that. Argh. Keep warm, stay safe. Blessings to all your fam - Joy

Noise Blockers and Other Remedies said...

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=67728&action=new