Friday, December 3, 2010

Eco DIY: Crochet Scarf with Banana Silk Yarn

Ten days and counting till the Craft Fair my mom got me a table at!!! And so I am busting my imagination for a variety of eco friendly & useful diddies. Since the new natural fiber yarns I got are sooooooooo amazing to touch and to look at I hardly need to get crazy with it... i decided some simple crochet scarves that would show off the beauty of the yarn fiber would be fun to make!
*
Making a long scarf can take quite a few hours for me, but long skinny scarves are still in style (it looks way cute plus you get extra warmth wrapping it around your neck bunches of times)...
*
Here is the scarf pattern I made up, in case ya'll would like to make one too :::::
*
1. (ch) chain stitch --- Make a chain the length you want the scarf, mine is approx. 7 feet long
2. (d) double crochet --- turn the work and do a double crochet stitch into the chain, for the entire length
3. REPEAT the double crochet in step #2 four times, till you reach your desired width
4. THE TRIM --- I took thinner soy yarn and (d) double crocheted across the edge, and then made a lace effect by .... (ch) chain stitch 6, then single crochet, then repeat across till the end of the width. Do this on both sides.

XOxoxox

3 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Leslie, I'm wearing those little boots I crocheted last year from your pattern!

Have you thought about making little slip-on footies? Have oodles of pairs I bought in Macedonia ... saw in several stores where they're becoming popular here!

Great scarf! I prefer rather skinny scarfs so I can wrap them. You're gonna sell out, girl!

Jenn said...

very nice! i likey!!

kirk said...

beautiful scarf-I have a spinning wheel and balls of wool yarn that I have spun but I haven't taught myself to knit yet. In winter I wear a silk scarf around my neck along with all my other wool clothes to keep warm. Can you recommend a good book to learn to knit? Cool thunderbird Tat!!!